UNDERSTANDING EFFICIENCIES

Ductless Heat Pump Efficiencies

DUCTLESS SYSTEMS OFFER THE HIGHEST EFFICIENCIES

Did you know? Ductless systems offer some of the highest efficiencies in the heating and cooling industry. Many units are ENERGY STAR® rated. High ductless heat pump efficiencies equal energy savings. The higher the efficiency the more energy you save, the more energy you save the more money you’ll have in your pocket!

Do you think you need an old antiquated furnace or heat pump to reap the benefits of ductless technology? You don’t! Even if your furnace is only 7 years old, a ductless system could still be the way to go. But don’t take our word for it, let’s look at numbers.

Here’s a look at the universal standard ratings for home energy efficiency which makes it easy for you to compare the performance of different systems. There are two efficiency ratings for cooling: SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) and EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio). There are also two for heating: AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) and HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor). It sounds confusing but it’s not. Let’s break it down…

AFUE – Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency
AFUE is the terminology used for your gas furnace. The AFUE helps to determine the actual, season-long, average efficiency of heating equipment. It measures the amount of heat delivered throughout your home against the amount of fuel your furnace uses. As an example; a furnace with an AFUE of 80 uses 80% of the fuel to heat your home while the remainder or 20% goes out your flue. So, what’s in a number? The higher the number, the more efficient it is. The U.S. Department of Energy determined that all furnaces sold in the U.S. must have a minimum AFUE of 78%. The higher the AFUE the higher the efficiency.

SEER – Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio
SEER Is used to measure your air conditioner’s cooling efficiency. Are you getting your money’s worth out of your air conditioner? Determining the SEER of your unit will help. SEER stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio, the comparative method used to judge how efficiently your air conditioner performs. It’s one way to see if you’re getting real value out of the energy dollars you spend. The higher a unit’s SEER, the higher your unit’s energy efficiency, and the more efficiently your unit uses power. In January 2006, it became mandatory for all cooling units to have a minimum 13 SEER. Effective power use means you’re getting the best value for your energy dollar. The higher the SEER rating the higher the efficiency.

HSPF – Heating Seasonal Performance Factor
The HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor) is the most commonly used measure of the heating efficiency of heat pumps. New heat pumps manufactured after 2005 are required to have an HSPF of at least 6.8. The most efficient heat pumps have an HSPF rating of 10. The HSPF is a heat pump’s estimated seasonal heating output in BTUs divided by the amount of energy that it consumes in watt-hours. Typically, a high-efficiency air conditioner or heat pump pays for itself in savings in a few years. Heat pumps are also rated by SEER for cooling efficiency. Because we live in the Pacific Northwest, the HSPF is a more important consideration than SEER due to our longer heating season.

ENERGY STAR™ RATINGS
Energy Star is the trusted, government-backed symbol for energy efficiency that helps consumers save money while protect the environment through energy-efficient products and practices. Products earn the ENERGY STAR label by meeting the energy efficiency requirements set forth in ENERGY STAR product specifications. Many, but not all, ductless heat pumps carry the ENERGY STAR rating and may qualify for rebates and incentives. Understanding home energy efficiency is an important ingredient when selecting a new heating and cooling system. Your ductless contractor will help you understand efficiencies and help you make the perfect choice. Your ductless contractor can provide a greater understanding of ductless heat pump efficiencies and how it impacts your home comfort. Learn about Ductless Heat Pump Efficiency from an Expert…