THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO DUCTLESS AIR CONDITIONING
Ductless AC Systems are becoming the “go to” air conditioning solution because of their unmatched efficiencies, ease of use and increased home comfort.
Ductless Air Conditioning is a breakthrough in home comfort. A ductless heat pump, also known as a ductless mini split system boasts the highest level of satisfaction of any home heating or cooling system.
Who is a Ductless Air Conditioning Good For?
Truly going Ductless is a good option for just about any home. It’s a more modern approach to cooling your home this summer. Ductless AC is more flexible, more efficient and more affordable than installing central air or unsightly and inefficient window units.
Because a ductless system does not require ductwork it can be added quickly and easily to just about any home.
Benefits Of No Ducts – Compare Ductless Cooling to Central Air Conditioning and you will see a big difference right away. Central AC needs to force the cool air through duct work that has leaks, pressure imbalances and most like is filled with dirt and allergens. A ductless mini split delivers cool and clean air directly to you.
Ductless Air Conditioning is a viable option for many homes. Some people choose Ductless AC for the cost savings, others choose Ductless Cooling to improve their air quality and others want the latest and leading edge technology. Going ductless has many advantages including:
- BIG Savings: Many home owners report savings up to 50% or more on utility bill! That’s because a Ductless AC offers some of the highest efficiencies available. Additionally, a traditional Central AC system forces air through leaky duct work. The US Department of Energy states that many homes consumer an additional 30% energy because of duct leaks and gaps. The savings are substantial.
- Anywhere – Anytime Solutions: Since a Ductless System does not require ductwork they can be installed in just about any home any time. And they avoid the high installation costs of duct work associated with traditional Central AC units.
- You Are In Control: Get room to room comfort. One outdoor unit can control up to 5 indoor heads so you can control the temperature in each zone or area. For example; you may prefer a cooler temperature in your bedroom while a bit warmed in your living.
- Easy AC – Ductless AC is a low maintenance choice. Compared to the complexities of installing ductwork, which is needed for Central Air, a ductless AC is easy to install and easy to maintain.
- Better Indoor Air Quality: Since a Ductless Air Conditioner is not forcing air through dirty ductwork, it deliver fresh, clean air directory to you. Many people prefer Ductless for this reason alone, especially if someone in the home has allergies or asthma.
- Ultra-Quiet: Advanced inverter technology is used in a Ductless Air Conditioner, in addition to provide the supreme efficiencies, it’s also super quiet. Many people report sleeping better as they don’t hear the AC kick on and kick off.
- Rebates & Incentives: Utility companies love when people go ductless and encourage more people to do so. Your new purchase may qualify for rebates and incentives.
- Affordable: Going ductless is often the most affordable option. Installing a ductless mini split AC will be less than installing a whole home ductwork solution. A window air conditioner may seem more affordable at first but certainly the cost of operating is much more. Consider also the lifetime expense of your cooling system. A ductless system provides some of the highest efficiencies which save money, they are easy to maintain and may qualify for rebates and incentives.
- Increase Comfort: Not only are they more efficient and quieter, some units may offer de-humidification and offer improved air filtration.
2-in-1 Functionality: Your Ductless Air Conditioner is a work horse. Whatever you call it, Ductless Air Conditioning or a Ductless Mini Split – at the heart of the system is a heat pump, which can both heat and cool. You’ll enjoy year round comfort in just one unit.
What is a Ductless Air Conditioner?
Ductless Air Conditioner Defined:
All air-conditioning uses the same outdoor component to produce cold refrigerant that cools the air inside a home. The difference with a Ductless AC system is that it does not require duct work so it can be installed virtually anywhere. A Ductless System pumps refrigerant to one or more indoor units.
A ductless mini split provides air conditioning regardless of whether or not you have duct work. The ductless system had 3 main components:
The Outdoor unit: This is the condenser unit which houses the compressor, condensing coils and fan. This unit is placed outside the home. Most commonly it is at ground level but not always. Its function is to receive all the heat that has been sucked out of the inside of your home and disperse it into the outdoor air.
The Indoor Unit (s): The indoor head takes care of the air handling – it includes an evaporator coil and fan that are contained with the same enclosure. There can be 1 or more indoor units which can be placed throughout the home. The indoor units can be wall mounted, floor mounted and ceiling cassette.
The Conduit: A ductless AC’s “conduit” connects the indoor unit to the outdoor unit. A conduit feeds electrical power to both the indoor and outdoor units and houses the power cable, refrigerant tubing, suction tubing and a condenser drain links the outdoor and indoor unit together.
A Ductless Cooling system also has some of the most advanced technology:
3D Air Flow: Some manufactures have 3D air flow. The unit has auto horizontal swing and auto vertical swing function, which supplies more even and comfortable air flow. It’s somewhat similar to the AC vents in your vehicle that can be adjusted horizontally and vertically. In some ductless system they will automatically sway from side to side and up and down. This provides for much more comfortable experience. Compared to traditional AC which blasts frigid air without the ability to control it.
Night Set mode: Provides a way to manage room temperature while you sleep. It prevents overheating or overcooling during the night.
Remote Control: Many units have remote control features and apps that allow you to control your system from anywhere in the world or from you own living room.
Ductless, mini split-system air-conditioners (mini splits) have unlimited potential to add comfort, freedom and increased control to your home.
Where Can I Buy A Ductless System?
The only place to buy a ductless system is through a certified and trained ductless mini split contractor. There is a reason for this. An HVAC contractor needs to go through at many hours of training before they are certified to recommend and install a Ductless Air Conditioner.
Choosing Ductless Cooling is not a one size fits all type of product. Designing a Ductless Air Conditioning system takes time, knowledge and experience. To get it right requires a load calculation, which mean measuring and analyzing your living area, it requires knowledge of the technology, installation experience, and most important the home owner’s needs.
Here’s what you can expect from a professional installation. Your contractor will evaluate your situation and based on a number of criteria will make a recommendation that suits your home environment. Then they will make sure to give you a professional installation. They are trained to know how to handle the refrigerant lines. They will help you understand operation of the ductless system and also notify you of any rebates and incentives that may apply. They will also instruct you on how to clean and properly maintain your new air conditioner.
Proper Sizing: A Ductless Air Conditioner requires a professional to properly size the equipment (over and under sizing equipment is a problem that costs home owners time and money). Oversized or incorrectly located air-handlers often result in short-cycling, which wastes energy and does not provide proper temperature or humidity control. Choosing a system that is too large is a common mistake that must be avoided. Although the bigger is better concept might apply to some situations, it most definitely does not apply to your cooling system.
Proper Placement: The installer must also correctly size each indoor unit and judge the best location for its installation. There are many variables that go into choosing the right equipment, you don’t want to guess at what unit to purchase, you need a proper assessment of your home and ensure the proper placement of the unit. Incorrect placement can also affect the efficiency of your unit.
Professional Installation: A professional installation is key to ensuring the longevity, reliability and efficiency of these types of units. A trained and certified contractor will ensure a professional installation, show you how to operate and care for you system and will help you with rebates and incentives that you may qualify for.
Not all contractors are created equal. As Ductless Cooling become more popular, more contractors get involved; however not every contractor is a good contractor…some just want to make a sale, some take shortcuts that can cost you later, and some haven’t been properly trained. Here are a few tips to make sure you get the right contractor.
- Make sure the contractor you use has experience installing a ductless system and is Factory Authorized by the brand they are promoting. Some even have Preferred Status, which means they have committed to a Premier Level of training for their staff. Often times this Preferred Contractor may be able to offer you additional warranties to their customers. As an example, a standard 10 year warranty becomes a 12 year warranty with preferred status.
- Check their referrals and credentials.
- Make sure they are bonded, licensed and insured.
Some examples of Premier Status include Daikin 3D, Fujitsu Elite and Mitsubishi Diamond Dealer status.
Green Energy Mechanical
Mitsubishi Elite Diamond Contractor
“Ductless Air Conditioning is the modern way to cool your home. Turn to a certified contractor as they’ve been trained on how to professionally install your system.”
Resist the temptation to buy online! Ductless manufacturers authorize who can sell their equipment, most of their warranties make specific point that they will void the warranty of equipment purchased online and not installed by a professional. It’s not worth the risk especially since some manufacturers offer a 12 year parts and labor warranty.
More often than not, most people don’t save any real money by buying online. And they don’t have the knowledge to know which parts and accessories are required to install the unit. The added aggravation isn’t worth the wasted time and money. A professional contractor will provide a quote that will include all the materials, labor, ancillary items needed to complete the installation, and a labor warranty. Additionally, the refrigerant needed to install a ductless AC system requires a license and should not be attempted by anyone not authorized to do so. Lastly, not all systems are built with the same quality and lately a number of cheap knock offs have hit the market, be sure to steer clear of
Choosing a ductless system is an important investment that will keep you comfortable and help you save on utility costs for years to come. Your Ductless Contractor will make sure to get it right today so you don’t have problems tomorrow. From start to finish, they’ll make sure to provide a quality experience for you.
The Ductless Directory only allows trained and certified contractors in the directory. Our goal is to maintain the integrity of the product and the industry by only accepting knowledgeable and experienced contractors. Find A Contractor
When Should I Consider A Ductless System?
Ductless is the ultimate problem solver and can be added to just about any home or business quickly and easily. A Ductless Cooling system is sure to add value to your home.
Consider a Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner just about any time you need to beat the heat. Some common times to consider going ductless are:
- Any home that needs to Add Air Conditioning and wants a quick, easy and affordable option. Ductless is a good choice for single areas or whole house cooling.
- You have Hot Spots in your home. Any home that has a problem area – areas that are too hot and uncomfortable to use.
- If you are converting spaces like an attic, garage, or basement into useable living space, ductless is a great option
- Remodeling and home addition projects or any time you don’t have ductwork or don’t want the expense of extending your ductwork.
- Any home that doesn’t have ductwork – No duct work is no problem! Some older and historic home that are heated with boilers or radiator heat need an affordable way to get cooling without ripping up the walls.
- New construction – anyone building a new home will want to consider a ductless mini split for home cooling.
- When you want to improve your indoor air quality. A Ductless system does not force air through duct work that is most likely dirty and filled with dust, mold, bacteria, viruses, pollen, and other allergens that are often found in duct work. A ductless system delivers air direct to you home with many people reporting breathing and feeling better.
- A Ductless System is great when you want to increase your home comfort. Some people choose a ductless system for their Master Bedroom because it is much quieter than traditional Air Conditioners. It also has more intelligent way of deliver the air, instead of it blasting air from one vent, many units have something called 3D Air Flow, which means the unit oscillate the air around you so you never have to pile on blankets be
- To save money. A Ductless AC unit offers incredibly high efficiencies. You may not know that many homes lose up to 30% efficiency due to leaky ductwork. Many home owner report savings up to 50% or more on their utility bill.
- Any home that wants to have Zoned Air Conditioning. Zoning your house allows you to have room to room comfort – you control the temperature in each zone of your house increasing your comfort and further reducing your energy bill.
Why Buy A Ductless System?
If you like satisfaction and peace of mind, you’ll like the Ductless Air Conditioner. Ductless systems have the highest level of satisfaction of any HVAC system!
You don’t have to be a slave to your utility bill. Some people choose Ductless AC because they want to save money. The high efficiencies of Ductless Cooling help home owners save up to 50% on their utility bills.
Many others choose Ductless Cooling because it’s an easy way to Add AC to just about any home.
When you want to increase your level of home comfort…consider ductless. It is a true problem solver – use it for hot spots in your house, if you’re adding living space or converting your garage, basement or attic to living space.
Increase your Indoor Air Quality by adding a ductless mini split. Your ductless system does not force air through duct work that is harboring many things that affect your breathing. Most duct systems have dust, dirt, mold, viruses, bacteria, allergens that make many people feel sick. When you go ductless you get fresh air delivered directly to you.
Others choose Ductless because they are concerned about the environment and want to do their part to reduce their energy consumption.
Whatever your reason, you’re sure to add value to your home and family by considering a Ductless Air Conditioner.
How Do I Get Started with ductless ac?
The first and most important step is to hire the right ductless contractor. Hiring a professional contractor ensures that you will get a unit that is properly sized to your home needs and also ensure a professional installation.
Our goal is to educate the consumer and help them find a knowledgeable and qualified contractors. We screen contractors before they are listed so you can be sure to get a professional ductless installation.